08 February 2010

Today is day one of Valentine's Week Extraordinaire!

I know, I know, some of you are thinking "but Court, you are not a Valentine's Day fan" and you'd be right. I would much rather have a nice dinner and flowers on some random day for no reason. I hate it when people do things because they feel like they have to. However, after Steven joined the Army my time with him became that much more precious. He isn't always here, he isn't always around, and he often misses major life events. So I learned to make special the time I do have with him and if that means celebrating a commercial holiday in some way then so be it!

I actually think the best Valentine I ever received was while Steven was in basic training. I was only getting to talk to him for about 20 minutes a week but somehow he was able to arrange for the most beautiful bouqet of flowers to be delivered to my apartment. Pretty sure I cried. But I digress...

This year I am turning Valentine's Day into Valentines Week. Surprising him with something different and fun every day. (Don't worry, he doesn't read this blog so I didn't spoil my plan!) So to start off the week I compiled a CD of "love" songs that have meaning for us or invoke a specific memory. After we got home from the Super Bowl party last night I made up an excuse for going back outside and with great stealth replaced the CD already in the player of his car with the one I had made. Then I put a sticky note on the dash that simply read "press play."

The CD started off with our song: "Everything" by Michael Buble. Moving on to songs such as "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith which was not only Steven's ringtone for my calls for many years but also one of his favorite love songs. And "Love You Out Loud" by Rascal Flatts which everyone knows is one of my all time favorite groups! Even a song from the Braveheart soundtrack (which is one of Steven's favorite movies) but the song in question is one of my absolute favorite pieces of soundtrack music and happens to appropriately be titled "For the Love of a Princess." Also "Chasing Cars," another one of Steven's favorites. So quite a variety of styles!

Oh, and he's already called me this morning raving about how wonderful it was and how he was having such a good day because of it! I love mi principe!

2 comments:

Steven & Kimberly said...

ah, so cute! You give me the greatest ideas sometimes :-)

Hope you have a great, fun-filled week... you'll have to update about you do everyday..i'm desperate for ideas!

miss you!

Court said...

Thanks! And it is indeed my intention to update on what I do every day!

I really miss you too!